Pages

such an honor to hear Sarah Lee Guthrie & Hoping Machine sing my song at the Climate March in DC!

Translate

new CD available on band camp click on cover image below to download tracks

new CD available on band camp          click on cover image below to download tracks
contact: spiesarts@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

We are water and by water are led...


A friend heard the water protector's moving testimony: 'I am made of water..' and it reminded him of my song
 By Water I Am Led  
(Spoken Intro)
Twelve thousand years of tears are standing in my throat                                      
A hundred million fears are woven in my coat
Illusion and memory are all the same
Can you tell me, what is my name? 

Beyond the mountains I move along                                          My voice is hidden, then my voice is strong

After so much silence and separation
Will you praise my beauty, my reparation?
Rising, falling, known, unknown
My water blossoms in your bone
I am the heart of tree and bird
I am the river, a holy word
(sung)  
I'm standing by the riverside                                                                                                           
Lost and ramblin' in my pride                      
Never knowin' in my heart and my head      
 I am water and by water am led              
Let the memory of the soft green ground
And the majesty of each simple sound
Hold me when I’m tumbling down
I am water,  missing and found
Chorus:
   Landlocked, full of fear                             
   Sound your torrent that I may hear         
   Where I’m stubborn, let me flow            
   Where I’m ignorant, let me know            
   
Let the spirit of the earth and sky
Keep me when I die
Carry me to the river and sea
I am water and I am free


words and music by JoAnne (Giovanna) Spies 

No comments: